Stories have a specific shape and we follow people as they overcome problems. When telling stories to mobilize we direct people on to pathways that lead to action. Stories help us build, teach and protect the web. In this session we identify parts of a story. You will then create a space for your organization to tell a story and then craft your story of your goals.
- Identify parts of a story
- Make a story map of your journey as a Mozillian.
- Create a story arc and create a multimedia presentation of what your organization will accomplish.
Activity – The Shape of Stories
Review the video below from author Kurt Vonnegut where he describes the structure of stories. It’s a great overview about the shape of stories, and we want you to consider how this shape might be used on other forms of communication.
- Describe Kurt Vonnegut’s style of telling a story about storytelling.
- How did he play with how your expectations?
- How did he his use of pause and inflection influence the story?
- What role did the blackboard play?
Activity – The Story of Me
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. – Maya Angelou
Digital storytelling is a short form of digital media production in which you share aspects of your life story. As you mobilize people to build a better web you will use various forms of media to tell parts of your story.
Emily Bailin talks about the power of digital storytelling in the classroom. Mobilizers and contributors can collaborate as learners to explore factors that impact our community.
Tell the story of your journey as a Mozillian. You could do this in many ways.
- Make a story map like Kurt Vonnegut. Put your beginning as a contributor until today on the x axis and something else on the Y axi (skill level, challenges/benefits)
- Write a blog post of your journey.
- Make a timeline of your journey.
- Grab some markers and some paper and make an illustration of your journey
- Record a sixty second selfie video.
Activity – The Story of Us
Now that you have traced a story and mapped your own story it is time to map the story of your team. You need to communicate who you are, what you do and why you do it. A common story map mobilizers use is the problem solution map.